Central Rivers Social Studies Learning
Social Studies provides students with skills and knowledge necessary to help make a positive impact on the future. At Central Rivers AEA we are dedicated to providing educators with the most current, research based resources. Best practice in Social Studies involves asking in depth questions and using a variety of sources to create informed answers. The process of Inquiry challenges students to think creatively and cite evidence that is based in fact. Students will learn to communicate their reasoning in clear and concise forms. In a progression of skills and higher order thinking, students will become ready for college, career, and civic life.
Inquiry and Active Learning Research Materials
- Trevor MacKenzie
- Dan Rothstein
- Douglas Fisher
- Warren Berger
- Sam Wineburg
- Jay McTighe
- Releah Cossett Lent
- John Hattie
- Judith C. Hochman
- Jacy Ippolito
- Dylan Wiliam
Iowa Department of Education Quick Links
- Iowa Council for the Social Studies Homepage
- Iowa K-12 CORE Social Studies Standards
- Iowa CORE Shifts in Social Studies Instruction
- Iowa Social Studies Resource Page
- Calendar – Social Studies Events and Learning
Central Rivers Resource Quick Links
- AEA Course Registration Login
- Central Rivers LMS Online Learning
- Central Rivers Digital Resources
- Central Rivers AEA Media Services
Curriculum – Resource Quick Links
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs – Museum and Educational Resources
- Goldie’s History Kits – Free resources designed specifically for Iowa, K-5.
- Iowa Primary Source Sets – Grade Level and Iowa Standard specific primary source materials.
- Read Iowa History – Free downloadable lesson for K-5 educators on how to integrage Iowa’s Primary Source sets.
- Library of Congress – Primary Source Information
- Everyday Inquiry in The Elementary Classroom – Georgia Standards Youtube Channel
- iCivics – Offering freely accessible resources that enhance classrooms.
- OER Big History Project – Free, online courses in History and World History.
- Smithsonian’s History Explorer – Free grade level lessons and resources.